What is Starpoint Gemini 2?[edit | edit source]
Starpoint Gemini 2 is an open-world 3D space combat and trading simulation that combines powerful RPG mechanics with the frenzy of space combat.
Where does the game take place?[edit | edit source]
Almost the entire game takes place in an imaginary star system called Gemini, where various factions fight for power. With the exception of planet/stations scenes used for ship upgrading, trading etc. the game takes place entirely in space.
What do I control in the game?[edit | edit source]
At your disposal you have large highly customizable spaceships capable of wreaking massive havoc. You start on a small gunship class designed for short distance patrols and work your way up to the largest Carrier class that can release fighter/bomber squadrons to aid you in laying waste to your enemies. The guiding idea is that it has to be possible to finish the main campaign even on smaller ship classes. That is made possible through upgrading ships and acquiring Perks that grant ship class specific bonuses.
How many characters do I control?[edit | edit source]
You only directly control one ship at any time during the game. Starpoint Gemini 2 features direct movement and combat controls making it impossible to control several vessels at the same time. The focus of the game is on action rather than real-time strategy.
Additional ships can join you and follow you as a part of your fleet. They can be added through scripts (for quests) or you can hire them as mercenaries.
What is the main focus of the game?[edit | edit source]
Main focus is tactical combat of large spaceships, exploration of a huge open universe and trading between various planets and stations. The particular blend of RPG skills and careful choice of ship and its customization is the key element of Starpoint Gemini 2.
What is different from games in the same genre?[edit | edit source]
Several very important factors distinguish Starpoint Gemini 2 from similar games:
- RPG mechanics – RPG elements (skills, perks, side quests etc.) are rarely seen in space simulations even though they can fit perfectly. In the game you are represented as a captain with his own personal set of upgradeable Skills and Perks
- Large ships – Standard element of almost any space simulation is controlling a fighter craft. In Starpoint Gemini 2, the focus is set on controlling large ship classes; on being the captain, not only a pilot.
- Continuous universe – The only loading point in Starpoint Gemini 2 is the initial set-up. There are no loading points in-between. The entire game is one huge open universe ready for players to explore it in detail, made available by our proprietary streaming "load-on-the-fly" technology.
- Detailed ship customization – Ships are highly customizable by buying new ship systems or by upgrading existing ones. That combined with a particular set of skills enables players to be powerful even in smaller ship classes. To enable giving that "personal touch", it is also possible to visually customize each ship by applying and colorizing banners, decals, ship name and by customizing the overall color tint of the ship and some of its materials.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
- Explore the entire game world as a whole, rather than individual "cut-out" maps
- Continuouse universe divided into regions that provide special visual and gameplay experience
- Dynamic real-time combat
- Complex, but easy-to-use RPG system
- Use T-Gates, wormholes and Riftways to travel around the system faster
- Fifty diverse factions ranging from states and companies to outlaws, locked in a power-struggle
- Dynamic world that changes over time
- Direct ship controls create complete immersion
- Large arsenal of destructive weapons for blasting enemies to pieces
- Random missions generated depending on player's actions and allegiances
- 150 commodities to trade or plunder
- User-friendly interface centered on context menus
- Over 50 unique ships fully upgradeable with various ship systems
- Special revocable licenses acquired from factions offer various bonuses and unlock new options
- Hire mercenary captains to follow you in your travels and share your fate
- Employ officers to fill key positions on your ship (engineering, navigation, tactical)
- Visible turrets reflect how you upgrade your ship
Technical[edit | edit source]
- Full DirectX 11 engine
- Latest Shader Technology
- Instancing and LOD on Models
- Hardware Tessellation
- Dynamic lighting and shadows
- Cascaded Soft Shadows
- Glow/Bloom/Tone Mapping, Ambient Occlusion
- Special Effects (Explosions, beams, trails, lens flare, nebulas)
- Postprocesing effects
- Particle system
- Powerfull Script System (Scripts support variables, looping, and conditional execution)
- Sound system based on XAudio2
- DSP Effects and Per Voice Filtering, Advanced Sound Effects (frequency effects, doppler shift..)
- Third-party physics (nVidia PhysX engine)
- Modding Tools (Material Editor, Particle Editor, Beam Editor, GUI editor)
- World Editor enables players to create their custom adventures and star systems