Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Starpoint Gemini Warlords is the third installment in the Starpoint Gemini series being developed by Little Green Men Games and published by Iceberg Interactive. It was launched on Steam's Early Access program on 14 April 2016 for PC. It was released intentionally as alpha so that community members can this time impact the course of development even more that they did on previous game, where 30% of features were added or changed as a result of community requested modifications.
Description[edit | edit source]
The game introduces many sought after new features including the player headquarters, a giant space station, for storing the fleet and building new ships. As development of the game progresses, research can be conducted there on weapons, ships, structures and new HQ modules. Conquer, fight, salvage, rescue, mine, loot and trade your way to interstellar glory, in an immense galaxy, close to ten times bigger than in its predecessor Starpoint Gemini 2.
Created from the feedback and suggestions of the highly active player community, Starpoint Gemini Warlords combines action, space-sim, RPG and strategy elements to deliver the ultimate space experience. Everything players asked and was simply too extensive to be added to Starpoint Gemini 2, was used as core for this project.
Features[edit | edit source]
- Headquarters. Construct and upgrade your own personal space station; a massive structure that enables you to conduct research, build ships, assemble autonomous fleets, 'park' fleets and much more.
- A very large game world will allow more distinction between ship sizes, and have pockets of empty space to travel through.
- Conquer Territory. Gradually expand your reign over unclaimed territory, by battling minor factions, or conquer the entire Gemini sector, by facing off against familiar strong Gemini foes, familiar from the previous Starpoint Gemini titles. Reinforce conquered regions to defend themselves.
- Conduct Research on simple weapon enhancements, obtain the expertise to construct a titan class behemoth, or boost the effectiveness of your non-combat fleets. Equipment, ship systems, enhancements and ships can still be bought, but the best 'stuff' can only be researched, constructed and improved in your HQ.
- Construction and research demand the allocation of resources. Gather them by conducting missions for other factions, trade or purchase resources, or conquer regions providing a steady flow of resources, and bonuses.
- Skill classes, attributed skills and perk progression will be revamped and rebalanced, as will levelling-up, the reputation system and diplomacy.
- Storyline vs Conquest (Free-roam): The campaign storyline will be blended in with the more generic conquer quests. Free-roam mode strips all main storyline missions, but leaves side quests and generic freelance missions intact.
- A full branching dialogue scheme, the industry standard in modern RPGs.
- Technical additions include: x64 system only, projection mapping, deferred shading, physically based rendering and realistic physics.
Development roadmap[edit | edit source]
The game will start its journey through Early Access with new content coming with every regular patch. Patches will come every 2-3 weeks or more frequently if needed. The number of final features will depend on community feedback and ideas. It, however, definitely won't be lower than the original plan, but will likely increase. In the previous Early Access experience the developers had an amazing response and the result (after 50+ updates) was a bigger and better game that was followed by two smaller paid DLC's and one huge free DLC (basically a remake of entire first game in new environment).
So Far Starpoint Gemini Warlords is utterly awesome right now, with its recent DLC "Cycle Of Warfare" which brings the A'Shriari, the main antagonists of the second game back into the fold, with their own shipset, designed exclusively for killing.