Main Page: Starpoint Gemini 2
Gemini star system is populated with a plethora of various objects. These objects
can be categorized into the following groups.
| Object Type
- The Riftway Grid is composed of "tunnels" going through Gemini's regions, connecting important places and areas. Riftways are artificial creations, originally developed and constructed by Gemini Space Engineering, and currently maintained by SupraTravel. While inside, ships gain a significant Speed increase.
- Riftways can be entered at any point and exited at any point as well. Autopilot doesn't work inside a Riftway and pilots have to navigate them manually instead.
- Riftways can be "cut off", which is often used by outlaw captains to ambush an unsuspecting convoy.
- A special random event is directly connected to Riftways.
- Riftway can become unstable, which causes ships to not reach full speed inside the affected Riftway.
- The Torrent Gates connect the most important places in Gemini almost instantaneously. Every T-Gate can be connected with up to 5 other T-Gates and the player can choose where to exit.
- T-Gates were, much like the Riftways, developed and constructed by Gemini Space Engineering, or to be more precise, by the people who founded GSE.
- Using T-Gates costs Credits, as their current owners, SupraTravel, are using the money to maintain the Riftway Grid.
- T-Gates can be disabled through scripts, which is usually done for the purpose of quests and random events.
| Asteroid Fields
- Asteroid Fields are generated from asteroids, within the field area set in the World editor. All asteroids within a field can be mined.
- Asteroid Fields are visible on the Starchart (after they've been discovered), and they're all named to serve as a landmark.
- Planets can be landed on, like stations, and offers much the same services. The main differences are in prices and supply/demand of goods.
- All planets are named and visible on the Starchart (when discovered), thus serving as a landmark.
- Some planets can have additional moons in their „orbit“ (better word is vicinity, since they are stationary). These moons can also function like planets (landing, services...)
- Stations are stationary objects that can be encountered in all of Gemini's regions.
- They offer various services (paid with Credits): repairing and upgrading ships, purchasing new ships, rearming heavy weapons, and hiring troopers and officers.
- Every station is visually unique and serves as a landmark.
- Stations are divided into station types so players can conclude in advance what type of products are available or in demand in advance etc..
- All structures that are capable of defending themselves (or attacking others), but aren't dockable like stations belong in this group.
- This group consists of a range of structures: from small defense platforms up to large military installations.
- Nebulae are generated inside predefined areas, set in the World editor.
- They can contain gas pockets which can be harvested for Gases.
- Nebulae are also named, and are visible on the Starchart, so they serve as landmarks.
- A Junkyard is similar to an Asteroid Field. It is also generated inside a predefined area set in the World editor.
- Individual junk pieces can be destroyed and harvested for spare materials.
- Junkyards are also used as landmarks.
| Area Effect
- Area Effects are various anomalous areas. The main difference from anomalies is the sheer size an area effect can cover.
- Area Effects are not necessarily accompanied by a visual effect, but their effect is always shown on the main HUD.
- Stationary (permanent) area effects are visible on the Starchart (when discovered) and are used as a landmark.
- Anomalies are special objects that can distort space in their vicinity and have diverse effects (both positive and negative).
- Anomaly Scans can be sold on stations (usually research stations) or planets. More dangerous anomalies achieve higher prices.
- By default, Anomalies that appear at random (and disappear after awhile) are given a pre-defined standard name, but there are also permanent anomalies that serve as landmarks.
- Used in quests and in random scenery.
- Derelicts can be found scattered around Gemini. Some are permanent and predefined (usually quest related), but most are generated randomly.
- Derelicts can be harvested for commodities and ship systems.
| Ion Storms
- Ion Storms are a special kind of area effect.
- They're very destructive in nature and highly unpredictable.
- They can appear at random (scripted as a series of events) in all of Gemini's regions.
- Inside the storms, a harvestable object known as a Vortex can be found.
- Harvesting Vortices yields Ionized Gas, a very expensive commodity.
- There is only one permanent Ion Storm, the infamous Maelstrom. It covers an entire same-named region.
- Scenery covers all non-interactive (except collision) objects encountered in Gemini.